From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Edward
R Cole
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 10:44 AM
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 DSP processor speed

Topic has digressed to NR:

Simple question.  Is all this feedback on how good or how bad NR works about
reception of CW (or does it apply to SSB?).  Only time I really need NR is
when local noise overwhelms normally strong SSB (e.g. signal is running
S8-S9 and noise rises up to S8-S9.  I find NR will lower the s-meter to
about S6-S7 under those conditions but the audio is distorted by NR such
that intelligibility is lowered - ergo no help to copy the signal.  I've
tried several NR settings with some being better but none helping me
understand speech better than running without NR.  Often NB works better
than NR, but NB also tends to distort audio.

Using NR with normal noise conditions it is never helpful for improving
intelligibility (for me).  I will admit that I have extreme hearing issues
that make ordinary speech a challenge.  So any processing that imparts
distortion reduces my ability to understand speech.

It seems to me that NR appears to experience IMD with the noise frequencies.

To be fair I have not had success using NR with other brand radios, either.
The only NR that works for me is in my expensive Bose airline headset.  That
is working on different nature of noise (probably).

To be fair I represent 0.2% of the population that NR probably is
ineffective.  I have it selectable in my hearing aids and often find it is
not helpful, either; rejects noise from behind me but clarity of sound is
impacted.  In a crowded room full of babble of the multitude, I select the
TV/music mode which provides wide-frequency response and I turn vol up to
max. <helps a little>

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"