Hi Mark

I can relate to what you are experiencing with the KPA500.

You do not mention which rig you are using to drive the KPA500 or how you
have the transmit switching configured.

I bought a new TS590SG some months ago and set it up using the solid state
switching which on the face of it is exactly the same as the TS990 which
works perfectly with the KPA500.

However, with the TS590SG, all it did was exactly as you describe. What is
happening is that the transmit switching arrangement - whatever it is that
you are using - puts the KPA500 permanently in a transmit state and then it
works normally to amplify the signal when you key the rig (or horror of
horrors speak into the microphone.

If by any chance you are using a TS590SG you can test the amplifier for
correct operation by changing to the relay switching rather than solid
state.

In my case, the matter was resolved after some liaison between the
Australian Kenwood Service Centre and Elecraft determined that the pull up
or pull down resistor ( I can't remember which it was) in the TS590SG was
too low such that it put the KPA500 permanently in a transmit state.
Kenwood simply increased the resistor appropriately and now it works fine
just like the TS990.

I hope that might point you in the right direction.

73

Barry  VK2BJ