Peter,

Yes, 2.5kHz is the upper limit, but for SSB I use 0.5 kHz because SSB stations are usually on 1 kHz boundaries although 0.5 boundaries are possible. For CW I use 0.1 kHz. 2.5kHz is typical for FM stations, but too wide for SSB or CW. To me, it is just a quick way of scanning through the band. If your expectations are more than that, then submit your request for an additional firmware upgrade.

If the coarse tuning does not land you on a 'netted' frequency, a slight adjustment of the VFO A knob will bring in the occasional 'off frequency' station. I regard it as a way of scanning the band with the knobs and do not mind fine tuning any station of interest with the VFO A knob. YMMV. I prefer that to using computer control of the frequency although I am of the 'old school', and old habits die hard.

73,
Don W3FPR