Danny

Decent BNC connectors have identical pin diameters in both 75 and 50
ohms versions and are fully compatible (unlike N type which are
definitely incompatible). But obviously these cheaper ready made up
cables use cheap plugs so may well have fat pins.

As an interim measure I have taken a couple more of the cheap BNC/BNC
leads and chopped one of the plugs off and fitted a phono plug, which
at least gets round the problems of adaptors - still 75 ohms of course.
A quick search shows that all made up BNC-phono leads are 75 ohms so to
go to 50 ohm leads you really do need to make it up yourself - and I
don't seem to have any BNC plugs in the spares box at the moment.

This has got it up and running again, but I have revealed another issue
- the earthing of the phono sockets in the K60XV at the K2 end is not
ideal. Only the output phono has a grounding lug, the input phono
relies on earthing via the aluminium panel. Although there are crinkle
washers both sides of the socket the socket tends to wear loose every
time you put the plug in. The receive noise on the XV50 shows this, as
you wriggle the cable at that end the noise goes up and down. It really
needs a direct earth to the ground on the K60XV panel.

I guess now having got it going not much else will happen until the
sporadic E season starts next May...

73 Dave G3YMC

http://davesergeant.com