From: Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com>
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 11:56 AM
To: James Rodenkirch
Cc: Dale Putnam
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] How to make the KX3 controlled by logging soft ware
like N1MM??

Jim,

Keying is an entirely different situation than attempting to use the rig
control features of N1MM that you asked about.  Such nit-picking is
necessary for clarity in my mind - i.e. controlling the KX3 does not
include keying it.

I believe N1MM allows you to set up a different COM port for keying
separate from the rig control (I don't know that for sure because I do
not use N1MM).
If it insists on using the same COM port and uses RTS or DTR for keying,
you cannot use the KXUSBa cable since you cannot get to the RTS or DTR
signals.
Instead use a USB to serial adapter (the Elecraft KUSB is recommended) -
and obtain the KXSERa cable (Serial to KX3 cable).
Then from the KUSB cable, break out the RTS or DTR signals and make up a
"simple one transistor keying circuit" (do web search for details) and
use the output of that keying circuit to key the KX3.

If N1MM does allow you to use a different COM port for keying, you still
need that different COM port (or USB to serial adapter) - apply the RTS
or DTR signals in that port to the one transistor keying circuit and
take the output of that circuit to the KX3 key jack.

73,
Don W3FPR