From: Elecraft <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> on behalf of Don Wilhelm
<w3...@embarqmail.com>
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2015 1:25 PM
To: char...@k5ua.com; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3S RS232 "Y" Connector causing port conflict

Charles,

You should find the amp has a driver connected to pin 2.
To make sense of the signal directions, you have to know whether the
device is configured as DCE or a DTE.  Data Communications Equipment or
Data Terminal Equipment.  The 'transmit' and 'receive' signals are
relative to the DTE.  In other words, the signal on pin 2 (RXD) will
have a receicver in the DTE and a Driver in the DCE.  The PC is the DTE
and devices like the K3 and your amplifier are DCE type.

I know that the DTE/DCE designation for the PC does not make sense, but
the serial port of the PC started out to be a port which allowed the PC
to behave as a terminal.

73,
Don W3FPR

Message delivered to fc...@montana.edu