Charles,

As Fred Cady said in a recent post, it is "all mixed up" and the safest way to check is to look at the schematic. It all depends on whether you are a DTE or a DCE device. Prior to the IBM PC, all was well defined and an RS-232 interface used a DB-25 connector. AFAIK the IBM PC was the first to use the DE-9 connector for the serial port connector, and they initially envisioned the PC being used as a terminal device connected to a large mainframe - so the mix-up began there - thus the PC is a DTE device, and when things are run from a PC, the signals are "backwards".
This state of affairs was adopted

In any case, pin 2 is the DE-9 signal line for data *TO* the PC. So the proper check is for a driver on pin 2 in your amplifier. If your amplifier also implements other RS-232 signals that use drivers in the amp, it is likely that those should be disabled as well - check for drivers on pins 1, 6, 8 and 9 of the DE-9 connector.

And just another twist on the connector designation - the 9 pin connector commonly used is properly a DE-9. References to it as DB-9 anre quite common, but are incorrect. If you look at the general category of D-sub connectors, the first letter is properly "D", but the 2nd letter refers to the shell size - "B" is the long connector typically seen in computer parallel ports, "E" is the smaller shell commonly used in PC serial ports. It is usually not important until you get to the typical 15 pin video port on computers - that is properly a DE-15HD connector. DB-15 connectors also exist, but it is longer and has 2 rows of pins rather than the 3 rows of the DE-15HD.

Standards are standards, but many manufacturers do not conform to those standards. Never make the mistake of thinking "it looks like a computer serial connector, therefore it should be one" - that thought can lead to damaged equipment. Check the equipment manufacturer's manual. If it is not marked RS-232, it is not likely to be RS-232.

73,
Don W3FPR