Stewart,

All I can say is that K2 SN 00020 is working fine after 5 years with no
relay problems, and in all the K2s that I have worked on, I have found only
one relay failure.

Relay contact failure can also be prevented by using relays that possess
wiping contacts.  I know not how much wiping action exists on the latching
relays used in the K2, but they are speced by the manufacturer (Omron G6H
relay data sheet) for 100 million operations with 50 milliohms maximum
contact resistance.  The contacts are gold plated silver and I would believe
they should not normally need cleaning by means of a DC bias.

Perhaps another couple years on the K2 will give a comparison with the
experience with your MP1000 - only time will tell the true tale.

73,
Don W3FPR