Experience!
Back in 1980 I was beginning my new career as two-way radio tech working in a BLM radio shop (had been mw engineer in old career in CA) and asked help troubleshooting from a "50's oldster". He told me that most new-young techs make the mistake of looking for high-tech problems when most "troubles" are simple.

So check:
1. power source; signal input/output - first (that includes cables and connectors)(and test equipment-meters)
2.  Control settings (pilot error stuff)
3. Look, Feel, Sniff (often the problem will be very evident to those senses)(that hot blackened thingy)
4.  Then get out the schematic and repair manual
5.  Call customer service (not always step five).

Of course if you ARE customer service then ask the "old guy" ;-)

Just yesterday two old trusted test cables went "open ckt" and a trusted coax went high SWR.
My spectrum analyzer that "seemed dead" had a switch in the wrong position.
If voltages seem wrong check the ground wire.
Experience!

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"