That said, we will be playing with this in DSP code to see if it's
worth the trouble.

In theory it should be worth the trouble as the distortion (other than
any increased background noise) should be less than typical "hard"
clipping with a non-phase equalized filter (for the K3, that's the
KFL3B-2.7 or KFL3B-2.8).  Put another way, the user should be able to
clip "harder" with less distortion using the CESSB algorithm.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV