I've found quite a number of articles discussing noise blankers and the implementation of such. From my experience with radios on the desk, past and present, the hardware noise blanker works quite well. On the other hand, DSP/software noise blankers have always been found to be marginal.

It seems we are insisting on tighter and tighter bandwidths {filters} to fight QRM. While at the same time, the use of a tighter the filter has the adverse effect that causes the noise pulse to be fattened. This is what Wayne was discussing in his recent post. In another approach, use a wide filter ahead of the NB thus it can become more effective on blanking. Wide pulses when blanked will punch holes in the audio.

There's a lot of history with Collins Radio and the implementation of noise blanking methods. None of these use DSP schemes and in one system, a separate antenna was used to feed noise pulses to the blanker circuit. I suggest one research the topic in this vein. One of my current radios on the desk uses a hardware noise blanker while the other one uses a DSP/software blanking system. Both radios are from the same company. It is amazing how much better the hardware noise blanker performs over the two radios which use DSP or software noise blankers.

73
Bob, K4TAX
K3S, s/n 10163