I suggest reading work by w9cf before getting concerned about balancing tuners.

http://fermi.la.asu.edu/w9cf/articles/balun/index.html

On Feb 4, 2016, at 7:38 PM, Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

Wes,

I don't mean to be contentious, but under ideal conditions, what Ron said is
true.  Even though we often refer to the output of the KAT500 (or any other
device that normally connects to a coaxial line, the currents on the output
should be equal and opposite - which is the definition of balanced.
Consider the currents between the center conductor and the inside of the shield
for coax.  They must be equal and opposite.  It is the common mode current on
the outside of the feedline that produces any unbalance.

So connecting a balanced feedline to a PL-259 is not so far fetched - providing
the shell of the PL-259 (and enclosure of the KAT500) is not grounded.  If you
have decided to ground your KAT500, then you would need to use a balun - so "it
all depends".  Be aware of "sneak grounds".

73,
Don W3FPR

Message delivered to j...@jtmiller.com