John,

I had a similar situation here with a LinkSys switch. Tried a NetGear switch and the birdies moved - but were still present. Solved the problem by moving all networked devices from cat5 10 mb to cat6 1000t gigabit ethernet.

-larry (K8UT)
-----Original Message----- From: John Shadle
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2016 1:07 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] slightly OT -- acceptable network switch (aka Linksysproduces birdies)

I just completed my K3S build and initial configuration. Woohoo. I was
tuning around the bands, and I noticed birdies *everywhere*. Every 20-30Hz
on 40m there was one -- and it was LOUD. I thought that something was up
with my build, but then started doing an internet search for "K3 birdies".
I saw one person (from a 2010 post on this list) note that the birdies
could be coming from network devices (routers). A-ha!

Initially, I thought it had something to do with my ASUS wireless router
being extremely close to my operation location. I unplugged it, and the
noise went away. Then I plugged it back in and removed, one by one, the
connections to various devices (network storage, my shack computer, and the
line that runs to my upstairs office). It just so happens that I had
installed a network switch recently (produced by Linksys, and on sale at
Best Buy last week). I unplugged the cable going to that switch, and the
noise went away. I then plugged it back in, and went to the office and
disconnected the power from the Linksys switch. Noise is gone again.

So, I'm looking for a new network switch. Does anyone have advice on what
has worked for them?

Alternately, any idea on how to get the network switch from producing these
awful birdies?

I'm *not* looking for a new router -- but just a switch.

Thanks.
-john NE4U
Madison, WI

Message delivered to k...@charter.net