Start with a sailboat sitting in salt water with the electrical system and masts bonded and tied to suitable grounding plates on the hull. This is all normal for most shipboard installations. A random length of wire can be matched to effectively transfer RF from the transmitter. Precise length measurements are not necessary. Keep ground loss and other component loss to a minimum and one has a rather decent antenna. Thus one uses an insulated back stay on the vessel.

73
Bob, K4TAX