From: Elecraft
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On
Behalf Of Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 2:38 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Slightly OT: non-resonant
wires

I don't believe there are magic lengths.

There are however lengths that are decidely
non-magical, and if you want something that works
on 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10, there are many
lengths that are non-magical.

That's why I did not ask "what is a good length?"
There is a pretty good reference here:
http://udel.edu/~mm/ham/randomWire/

Short of buying a 100 foot tape (or a longer one),
what methods do people use to reasonably
accurately measure 53 feet (or 72 feet, or 136
feet)?

Thanks -- Lynn

On 2/9/2016 11:06 AM, Barry N1EU wrote:
> I think the only important measurement is that
it avoids being near a
> half wavelength on any bands.  Are there really
"magic" lengths to be
> used with
> 9:1 xfmr into a tuner?  I'm skeptical.
>
> 73, Barry N1EU
>
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Lynn W. Taylor,
WB6UUT <
> k...@coldrockshotbrooms.com> wrote:
>
>> Only a bit off-topic, since I have a KX3
w/tuner and a 9:1 balun to
>> go with it.
>>
>> I know how to trim a resonant antenna to the
correct final length. I
>> also understand why truly "random" wires don't
necessarily work.

>> The recent post about shipboard operations near
Antarctica said
>> they're using a 53' wire.
>>
>> How do you guys measure an antenna like this?
I assume it can be a
>> few inches off, but....
>>
>> 73 -- Lynn

Please help support this email list: