Us OT's can remember the times when microphone elements, like optics, were
largely hand-crafted. As such, the good ones tended to be expensive and
often fragile.

Nowadays, both optics and mic elements are manufactured using highly
automated processes that provide uniformly outstanding quality at very low
prices.

The specs on the little RS electret mic element available for a few dollars
are something one would pay king's ransom for back then.

I have used the RS elements in my own mics as well as replacements in
commercial applications with excellent results.

73, Ron AC7AC