Jim,

A Yaesu microphone will not work with the K3/K3S unless you construct an adapter to change the microphone pinout. There are no menu settings to accomplish that feat, you must build an adapter to route the AF and PTT and their Return paths to the appropriate pins on the K3/K3S microphone jack.

The CM500 has a stereo mic plug, but the tip and ring are connected together. That is no "never mind" for the K3, but for the KX3, it does cause a problem. Without building an adapter, you can turn off bias and turn MIC BTN off, and it will work. The bias is supplied from the residual voltage of the digital voltage designed for the MIC BTN. If you find that digital voltage produces digital noise in your signal, the only cure is to build an adapter to isolate the ring from that digital voltage and if you do that, you will have to turn BIAS on for the CM500 to operate.

73,
Don W3FPR