Tom; Lots of good suggestions to your original questions and I'll add a couple
more.

I built my K3 from a kit and it was an absolute joy to put together (much more
than I expected).  The instructions are all very clear and easy to follow.  So,
if you take the plunge into assembling your own:

1)  Get a good anti-static mat with a wrist strap and always use it while
building.  I grounded my Radio Shack mat via the third pin on a wall outlet
(and I made sure it was a good ground with a 3-prong circuit tester beforehand).

2) A big plastic fishing tackle box like those sold at Wal-Mart was invaluable
for putting all the many different sized screws in separate cubbyholes.  Also,
get a little screw size chart like those sold in Home Depot or Ace.  After a
little use you'll be able to tell a 3/8th from a half-inch easily as well as
differentiate the different head types, washer types and so on.

3) A quarter-inch nut driver and/or crescent wrench is practically essential as
well as a set of tiny screwdrivers.  Harbor Fright sells these for a couple of
bucks.  They also sell magnetic parts cups that come in handy when you get a
set of tiny bits together ready to install, too.

4) Have a clear table or work surface ready in advance.  Arrange good lighting
and a big magnifying glass on standby---especially if you are an old guy like
me!

5) Lastly, budget your time for building---don't rush or try to get it done
quickly.  I found the whole process of building my K-Line rather therapeutic,
like painting, hiking or enjoying a good concert.  I will always look back at
the good time I had putting it together and then utilizing it to go out and
snag some great DX out of the airwaves with great fondness.

A lot of folks are selling their K3s now to fund a purchase of a K3S---but I
would rather hang onto the first rig I ever built and make upgrades now and
then instead (but I'm a sentimental old fart).  I guarantee you will enjoy the
building process and you'll save a little dosh that can be put towards a better
antenna or improvement down the road.

Btw, the general coverage bandpass filter you asked about lets you SWL the
shortwave broadcast and MW broadcast bands with much greater signal
strength---they're suppressed without it.  As long as you have the 13kHz or
6kHz filter you'll be good to go for SWLing---but just either filter is
sufficient for casual SWLing as I sometimes do.

I do recommend adding the ATU and sub-receiver option if you can afford to do
so (and want to chase DX).  The sub-receiver is great for split operations and
I can't imagine not having one---but that's just me.  You can always add these
and all the other goodies later on but it is more convenient to install some
options like these early on as the sub receiver will need to be removed and
reinstalled if adding more filters or some other options that fit underneath it.

I've rambled more than I intended to but when I think back to the time when I
was getting ready to spring for the K-Line I had lots of questions, too---and
I'm glad I did my homework as it paid off well once the big boxes from Aptos
arrived.

Have fun!   Elecraft is the best!  (and I do not even drink Kool-Aid)

73,  Jeff,  NH7RO

                This email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected
by Avast. www.avast.com