Hmm. One of the reasons people get a KPA500 is because they can't get 240
to the shack and the KPA will run on 120V. That makes it non-idiotic to
inquire upon the 120V supply.

I heard of a problem something like this, not a KPA500, that turned out to
be a defective wall outlet. I would imagine that the KPA500 is unforgiving
of a precipitous drop in AC voltage. In the case I cite, all kinds of
wierdness in the shack went away when the wall outlet was replaced. The
defective wall outlet had internal blades that were badly pitted. It was
also very old by any means of estimate.

I also heard of a power cord that was not crimped correctly inside the
molded plug, discovered upon dissection style autopsy afterwards.

Other issues would be aluminum wiring that had not been tightened up, a
single bad socket in a power strip, etc. Also have heard of a wall socket
connection where one of the screws on the outlet had never been tightened.

A KPA500 is a hard pull on a 120V socket. It would not matter to the AC
power that you were just hitting 10 watts, because you turn on the idling
current as soon as any RF is sensed.

Do not assume that the 120V supply is A-OK. Verify everything on that 120V
circuit, up to and including the breaker in the breaker box. Breakers go
bad too.

In any event the very best of luck chasing this aggravating problem. Please
let us all know what finally turns out to be the actual problem and what
you did to fix it.

73, Guy K2AV