As a casual observer of this thread - does the oscillator have to be
precisely 10 mhz to a zillion decimal places  OR does it just need
to be close to 10 mhz and verrrrrryyyyy stable ?

Years ago hams used to build 10 mhz xtal
oscillators/buffers  - put them in  a thermos bottle - dig a post hole
and bury the thing about 4 feet deep - it was pretty stable
just xtal aging and needed lo noise stable DC.

Hank K7HP