The stuff I have run into that is in the 16 to 18 khz range includes
furnace /air conditioner  motor controls and  washing machines.

Of course those are intermittent which is also a clue- although
there are some furnace/A/C blowers that stay on at low speed all
the time for circulation.

If you have a P3 - decrease the span  and most of the newer stuff
at certain parts of the cycle will actually be several spikes in
each group of noise.

Hank K7HP