It may be that part of amateur radio equipment¹s future is already here,
and clearly so in avionics (i.e. the electronic display and control
interfaces for navigation, communication, and aircraft performance.)  One
major feature is the ³softkey² - a mechanical button with no exclusive
function but rather a function defined by the subsystem the screen is in.
We-all have this already in the P3, for example, which allows labelling
two rows of buttons albeit by a selection process that is tedious and very
slow compared to the better avionics systems.  And we have it in
elementary ways in certain of the display functions in the K3 and KX3.  I
can imagine a great deal more of it in amateur equipment, with a large
central display surrounded by buttons and on-screen labels changing with
the subsystem.  It would be far better and more intuitive for
configuration changes than the menu system we have now.  Even in the
relatively simple GA aircraft I¹ve flown I can manage the avionics much
faster than I can operate any amateur transceiver I¹ve seen. Which is a
good thing when you¹re moving at a couple of hundred knots.   Compared to
touchscreens, soft keys are more accurate IMHO; but more important, they
keep the residual PB&J confined to small areas and away from the main
display.

Ted, KN1CBR