I was about to reply to a couple of posts on the UI topic when I read
Eric¹s post (below), which makes a point I would underscore.

Since many of us (not surprisingly) share aviation and hence avionics
experience as well as amateur radio, that experience may be useful in
reflecting on the topic of UI for amateur gear. As Eric implies, and as LS
also points out, the question is not either-or.  There are some functions
for which soft keys are better than layered menus, and those better than
dedicated buttons and knobs, and those better than or worse than touch
screens.  For example, I think that during critical phases of flight I
would not want to replace the tactile feedback of a throttle lever with a
screen-based input; I like having the gear lever feel like a gear lever
when I grab it; and while this one I might be willing to change, I think a
flap control should feel something like a flap.  But navigation is
cerebral rather than tactile, and for that an intuitive layer of soft keys
seems just right.  On the other hand, if I need to kill the strobes
because I¹ve just entered IMC (clouds, to the earthbound), I¹d like to
stab at a known, dedicated, and unprogrammable button that I¹ve mentally
marked IF YOU CAN¹T SEE, PUSH HERE RIGHT NOW. Point - touch screen isn¹t
better or worse than any of the alternatives.  It¹s either better or worse
for some functions than any of the alternatives, but not for others.
Maybe VFO A knobs are like flap controls?   My point in raising the
experience of avionics was to say first, that that field seems a bit ahead
of the amateur radio gear field in ergonomic design of similar systems;
and second, that it shows that design choices shouldn¹t be driven by
global preferences.  No surprises there, eh?

Ted, KN1CBR