I thought the best way to drive an amplifier was to increase drive until output no longer increased proportional to input; eg output increases 3-dB with an 3-dB increase in drive is linear. Isn't the point the increase drops 1-dB the upper limit?

That is how I determine best drive level on VHF linear amps. Most folks run up drive until they reach saturation (no change in output with increased drive) and then operate SSB there. No wonder their voice peaks are cut off causing splatter. BTW high speed CW should not be run at saturated power, either. CW actually has bandwidth though at 5wpm probably not measurable <ha ha>

ALC was a good concept that never worked very well (negative feedback gain control). ALC meter on the K3 is useful for setting audio drive just to the point ALC begins to act (four bars with 5th flickering). But I guess all of you know that - right?

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: