Hi Gerry,

If I'm using the rig HT-style (/PM, or pedestrian mobile), I just connect the
whip directly. The KX3's BNC connector is rigidly attached to the right side
panel, with a D-shaped bushing so it can't rotate, and a flexible wire from the
BNC's hot lead to the PCB. So you won't hurt anything by doing this. Any 48"
long telescoping whip with a base loading coil and BNC will work, though as I
mentioned, I'm partial to the MFJ 18xxT series.

For picnic-table-syle operation, I've been using the whip with a tiny home-made
tripod. It has two female BNCs: one at the top for the whip, the other at the
bottom at a right angle so it can attach directly to the radio. The radio
connection can use either a double-male BNC adapter or a length of coax. The
height is adjustable to match the height of the BNC on the radio.

The tripod has three legs that fold up and out of the way, resulting in a unit
that's less than 6" long and 1" in diameter. Weights only a few ounces.

If anyone besides me is interested in the tripod, maybe we'll make it into an
Elecraft product :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR