Thanks for the comments folks.  I now know exactly what I did wrong.  There
were two details I messed up.

The first detail was threading the coax before tightening the outside nut.
This caused the coax itself to be torqued and  rotate when I tightened the
outside nut without securing the body of the connector which is detail two.

The second detail was not securing the body of the connector when I
tightened the outside nut which allowed the coax to be torqued and rotate
which is detail one.

The result was that the coax torqued since it was not free to rotate and put
force on the ferrule which caused it to break apart.

Lessons learned.

When I get the replacement coax, I will make sure I do not thread the coax
before tightening the outside nut AND will secure the body of the connector.

It appears that the K3 is happy with the signal coming in from the GPSDO but
this is not a desirable long term situation.

Jim/N1NK