On a Model 15 or 19, you could see the mechanism move on a <figs> or <ltrs> character.

On a 28, you could see the typebox shift positions.

In software, it's the same: you have a 5 bit baudot character and a figs/ltrs state, they're read, decoded and the appropriate character "printed" on the display.

I'd expect the encoding algorithms to follow the best practices while sending and decoding to handle all the odd variations that might be out there.

-- Lynn