On the Teletype model 33 and 35, one character delay was enough for the carriage to return to the left margin. That made the CR LF sequence the favored new line. (The LF could be executed in one character time.) These machines used ASCII code as compared with the model 28 and earlier models which used the Baudot code we use for RTTY. I understand that these earlier machines had the same timing, but I never had any direct experience with them.

Indeed, if you used the LF CR sequence, you needed to insert a one character time delay for timing. A Rubout character was often used for this delay.

73 Bill AE6JV