I would agree with the ext temp compensation.  It is the right thing to do
and let's the onboard computer handle the drift variations for you.  I
don't have the xg50, which is recommended.  I tried the wwv approach and
that did not work, even when wwv was coming in fairly strong at s7.  I
watched the collection on the kx3utility and it was good on the third try,
no gaps or fades that caused the beat frequency to be read incorrectly.

However, I have returned to the standard compensation as opposed to what I
attempted to do with wwv and the extended temp compensation.  I did it
three times and all results were worse than the standard.

I will try to build a stable frequency oscillator or perhaps purchase the
xg50 so I can do the temp compensation properly.  The standard
compensation seems to work ok.  There is still drift, but not as bad.  Once
the oscillator has warmed up, the standard compensation seems to do a
decent job.  But, my experience is like yours, I can see the drift on the
wsjtx program waterfall and in some cases it is 8-11hz.  I have to pay
attention when I run wsjtx as the person I am calling may not answer me on
the frequency I answered them on.

P.S.  My clock is set from the Internet and I am not sure how that equates
to drift that one sees on the waterfall.  Most of those I return a call to
are only out by 0.2 - 1.2 seconds.  The clock sync doesn't seem to have
anything to do with drift that one sees on the waterfall.  But I am
prepared to be educated if someone can demonstrate drift to time sync
correlation.

Regards
Brian
VE3IBW