I've done this. For a 2 - 3 day trip, you'll be fine with some of the batteries that K9YC mentioned. Bioenno is/was giving a discount to the active SOTA group. In the past, on short trips I've found that if you're not going to stay put in one area, then you wont need solar at all. The LiFePO4's will be plenty. Until I started using the LiFePO4's, I used an Energizer XP8000, roll up thin film panels (2 @10Watts), and the solar charger that the Buddipole guys sell. It's what I had from days of playing out in the hills. The Energizer is slick in that it will take 19V from the panels and charge, while also providing several outputs for laptop, cell phones, radios, etc. Kinda
pricey though.

I stay with the 12.6V LiFePO4's. When not playing radio, can be used for other camp
chores/duties like LED lighting, cell phone, camera, etc etc....

Have fun.

73, Todd KH2TJ

Joe Moffatt wrote:
Anyhow, I am trying to figure out what to use for portable solar rechargeable
power while backpacking in the mountains.   My typical trip will be 2-3 days, a
few hours a day operating primarily CW.   5 watts is fine for CW....