I sold my FT 817 to add the PX3 to my KX3. I had never used a spectrum display before. But I never turn on the KX3 without the PX3 now. It is useful to see CW signals both sides of the dial, and which is the strongest, and the weakest. Same for SSB. Just turn the dial and move the station to the center marker and listen. I might say I like my FT817, had it for years, but I just could not take the small screen in varying light challenges, and my eyes getting older. So I did not have any pangs when I sold it. And,
after having the PX3, I never looked back.