Please look up E field or Cross field antennas.  This antenna design has been
around for a long time and has not been terribly accepted.

Mel, K6KBE

      From: Bill Frantz <fra...@pwpconsult.com>
 To: Michael Heit <michaelh...@gci.net>
Cc: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net; Michael Heit <michaelh...@yahoo.com>
 Sent: Wednesday, May 4, 2016 7:55 AM
 Subject: [Elecraft] Digital Voice, was: New KX3 up & running.

The real problem is which codec and transmission protocol do you
use. Icom has D-Star, and Yaesu, instead of supporting D-Star
which might have improved digital voice uptake due to larger
critical mass, decided to push out its own protocol. (I think
they were listening to their commercial division which wants to
lock customers into using only their gear. IMHO, that's not ham radio.)

Note that with D-Star, the only proprietary part of the protocol
is the codec. If you use the chip which supports the codec, you
are covered on the intellectual property issues. For me, the
supreme irony is that both Icom and Yaesu use the same chip, but
can't talk to each other.

The other issue is that under weak signal conditions, FM is
likely to be better for getting the message through than either
of these digital voice protocols.

There is a open source protocol which is used on HF, but I don't
see much activity using it.

As far as Elecraft is concerned, there just isn't usage to
justify the engineering time. We didn't see PSK63 support until
after the Europeans were running PSK63 contests.

73 Bill AE6JV

Message delivered to farrerfo...@yahoo.com