On Mon,5/9/2016 9:41 AM, Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT wrote:
If we're talking DC levels, sure, no problem. Low rate signalling just won't matter.

You're missing the fact that although these conductors INTENTIONALLY carry DC and low rate signals, they also can PICK UP RF and AF noise. Twisted pair, when used to carry a signal, is at least as powerful at rejecting RF and AF noise pickup as coax, but ONLY if the pair is dedicated to a circuit. That only happens when both ends of the cable are correctly wired. That is, OR and OR/WH will reject noise, but OR and GN will NOT.

At audio levels, the shielding from twisting the wires might be helpful.

It is VERY helpful.

If we're actually using them for Ethernet, then the twisted pairs aren't wires, they're transmission lines. 100 megabit ethernet is running at 100 megahertz.

Right. AND -- they are transmission lines at RF frequencies even when the INTENDED signal is AF or even DC. THAT'S HOW they reject RF and AF noise.

Wire the cable randomly and you don't have twisted pairs (transmission lines) at VHF frequencies (or above).

And you don't have them at AF or HF either.

Bottom line -- CAT5 and similar cables are excellent for control wiring and even for RF, but we must ALWAYS wire them so that every circuit uses a pair. Wiring them any other way is a recipe for noise and RFI.

73, Jim K9YC

73 -- Lynn