> You're missing the fact that although these conductors INTENTIONALLY
> carry DC and low rate signals, they also can PICK UP RF and AF noise.
> Twisted pair, when used to carry a signal, is at least as powerful at
> rejecting RF and AF noise pickup as coax, but ONLY if the pair is
> dedicated to a circuit.

And also only if the twisted pair is properly terminated in a balanced termination - on both ends. I was field engineer for Bell. I was sometimes totally amazed at just how good twisted pair are at rejecting noise. As good as coax, if not better.

But . . . the telco pairs are terminated in carefully balanced terminations. I don't think the typical ham/audio install is so carefully designed. They may be, I don't know for sure. I suspect the terminations are, for the most part, unbalanced. There will still be some rejection of noise, maybe a good deal. But not as good as if properly terminated.

I have used twisted pair here with good success, but there is some luck involved if the pairs are not properly terminated.

73 de dave
ab9ca/4