Further down in the same online spec page it states "Compact unit ideal for both desktop and mobile use". Note *mobile* use where the electrical system supplies more than 13.8V with the engine running. I find no mention of the KXPA100 being developed as a "portable" amp. I have done searches of all Elecraft docs concerning the KXPA100 and find NO mention of the word *portable* anywhere. Nor do I find any mention of some nefarious board swap early in the products life.

Maybe the OP assumed because it has a carry strap that it is a portable amp. Well...My TS520 has a carry strap and a DC-DC converter. No way that can be classified as portable, it weighs 37lbs.

To be fair I have run it at field day but we had a 10KW diesel powered generator on a trailer. Power was NOT and issue.