Eric and All,

Boy, I don't know Eric!!! I see your point, but I don't agree at all that this is more a move from/towards the KX1/K1 than it is from the KX3. Even Elecraft seems to view this as a comparison between the KX2 and the KX3. Just look at the FAQ page:

http://www.elecraft.com/manual/KX2%20FAQ%20v-1-1a.pdf

They even have a chart of feature comparisons between those two rigs specifically!!! No mention of either the KX1 or K1 there!

The KX2 is a reduced size look-alike to the KX3. It's just got some feature differentials, but even more feature inclusions! It's an SDR, just as the KX3 is, and it takes much the same advantage of that platform.

Yes, it is a move towards smaller size, like the K1 and KX1, but the KX2 has KX3 "genes" all over it! That's my only point, and not intended to be critical either. There is a huge comparability to the KX3, but not much to either of those older rigs.

In any event, I'm not sure very many people will be evaluating acquiring this new radio as opposed to a K1 or KX1, but I bet bunches of folks will be evaluating the KX2 vs. the KX3. That said, I suppose even more people will be motivated to put their K1's and KX3's on the shelf, but I think the KX3 already had the biggest impact on that. For that matter, so did a lot of other more recent offerings from other sources. The K1 or KX1 is an apples/oranges comparison to the KX2. The KX2 is an oranges/tangerines comparison to the KX3. Or, to use your comparison, how about an F-150 crew cab 4X4, vs. an F-150 standard with a short bed??? Well, you get my point even if you don't agree with it.

Cheers!

Dave W7AQK