Hi Dave,

> I think it is intriguing that Elecraft chose to make it's new rig a
> "downsized" version of the KX3.  I can certainly see how this has stimulated
> a lot of interest.  What I'm trying to figure out is whether or not it does
> anything better than the KX3, or is it just a smaller, and less capable,
> radio.  At this point, I'm inclined to think the latter.

The KX2, given its size/weight, can go places no other 9-band/mutli-mode HF
transceiver can go. This makes it "more capable" in a sense. It has fewer
controls, but they're the ones you generally need for ultra portable operation.

It has a number of features that make it ideal for HT-style (or horizontally
deployed/hand-held) operation:

  - built-in mic
  - battery shifted to the left (bottom, when hand-held)
  - heat sink on the right (top, when hand-held)
  - XMIT switch easily accessible for use as PTT
  - attached paddle length reduced, easily accessible during HT use
  - amp-hours metering for better tracking battery life
  - quick-disconnet jack for trailing counterpoise wire

> I can only guess at the decreased capability of the optional ATU.  The one
> for the KX2 may still be sufficient for most needs, but I just hate to see
> less capability.

See previous post. There is one less L and C, and those were primarily for
better coverage of 160 meters.

> I was disappointed to see that the PX3 would not mate with the KX2.... that
> capability is more appropriate for a larger rig ... just not enough room in
> that smaller package ... maybe it was to just hold the cost down???

All of the above.

The feature set was carefully targeted to keep the cost lower, making it a good
first HF rig for new operators.

> So, how do you describe the difference in ten words or less?

See previous email :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR