I cannot directly answer your questions about logging programs with Ubuntu, but
I can say that Oracle Virtual Box running XP has worked well for me - a LOT
better than attempting to run some programs with Wine. I must also say that I
did go back to Ubuntu 12.4 after a later upgrade lobotomized my machine, so I
am a bit behind the curve. I need to spend some time and see if I can upgrade
to something a bit more current, but the last upgrade was a disaster!

Good luck, and let us know what you find out,

73, Jim  KO5V
K2 7225