From: "ON4WIX" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 8:39 AM
Subject: [Elecraft] K2 - bargraph reading OK?

Hi all,

I just finished "Alignment and Test, Part II" on my K2 S/N 5361. All
readings are well within spec and I've also quickly compared the receive on
40m to my TS-570DG. It's afternoon here so no whopping broadcast signals
yet, but so far what I've heard with the K2 seems very promising.

I only have one question. When I disconnect the antenna from the K2 and put
the RF gain to maximum, the S meter shows S7 while I would expect it to drop
down to bottom scale. The meter has been calibrated during the testing of
the display unit, all was well then. Connected to the same antenna as my
TS570 the K2 shows around 20dB higher signal levels on the meter.
Should I recalibrate the meter? According to the manual recalibration is
only necessary after changing the AGC threshold which I haven't done. I've
only aligned the IF amp and the 40m bandpass filter as per the instructions
on p64 of the manual. I do not have a signal generator here so if you're
sending in any hints please take this into account.

Thanks for your help

Glenn ON4WIX