Glenn,

The manual statement is that CALS HI and CALS LO must be adjusted after
changing the AGC Threshold - the converse is not necessarily true - that is
not the only time that one should readjust the S meter settings.

One would need to reset CALS LO and CALS HI after any change that results in
a gain change on the K2 receive chain  prior to the AGC takeoff point - and
that is what happened when you added a working receiver and aligned the IF.
You may want to optimize the AGC threshold and reset the S-meter after you
have everything else correctly aligned.

73,
Don W3FPR