A dipole-type antenna should be at least 1/2 wavelength high for decent DX
performance and preferably a full wavelength. An inverted V is not as good as a
dipole. And the high bands are poor now in the summer and as the sunspot cycle
declines. So that's one strike against you. You are running low power. Strike
two. And you are trying to use SSB. You're out.
If you don't like CW, I would suggest PSK, which seems to get out well with low
power. If you really want voice and DX then you should consider both raising
your antenna and increasing power.

Vic 4X6GP