I bought a SDRPlay from HRO at Dayton, but haven't had a lot of time to
play with it yet. From the specs, it looks like it would be much better for
that application than the cheap RTL dongles. It's not as cheap as a dongle,
but at around $150 US, it's cheap enough to experiment with. I think I paid
about $139 on sale at Dayton.
I know that many folks are using them for panadapter with the K3. I may try
that out too, but I just got a P3 so I'm kinda spoiled already :)