Jim,

I know this may be sideways to your technical issue, but for those who do
S&P in a contest or FD (which is an operating event), waiting for long CQs
can be frustrating.  Keeping it short can increase your QSO rate and the
QSO rate of those doing S&B.

Here are the scenarios:

CONTESTING

   Calling station: CQ Test <your call> k [pause 3-5 sec before sending CQ
again]

   S&P station:  <your call>

   Calling station <his call> <exchange>

   S&P station:  <exchange>

   Calling station TU QRZ <your call> k

DXING

   For DXing I use the following:

   Calling station:

   Calling station: CQ DX <your call> k [pause 3-5 sec before sending CQ
again]
                                 or
                            CQ DX <your call> UP [pause 3-5 sec before
sending CQ again]

   S&P station: <your call>

   Calling station: <his call> <exchange>

   S&P station: TU <exchange> <his call>

   Calling station: TU QRZ <your call>
                              or
                           TU QRZ <your call> UP

Both scenario allow as many operators to work each other in the least
amount of time.

Also, for the faster interface with less lag, I use a WinKeyer or Winkeyer
Lite.  There is essentially no delay so you can have instant function key
or typing from N1MM+.

The Win4K3 suite software also support the WinKeyer, too.  So you can
program function keys and buttons in the terminal window just like N1MM+.

73

Doug
NA1DX

K9JWV wrote:

Here is my F1 macro for CW contests:

F1 CQ, {CATA1ASCKY cq TEST * * test;}

If I enter two "cqs"   {CATA1ASCKY cq cq TEST * * test;} the message is not
sent...is that indicative of a limit on characters transferred 'tween N1MM
and the KX3?

--
Doug Ellmore
d...@ellmore.net

Computer Scientists do precision guess work based on unreliable data
provided by those of questionable knowledge.