For me, Field Day is how I cut my eye teeth on contesting, so I consider it a contest. But it is also so much more: Public outreach, Party, Camping trip, Emergency preparedness drill, etc. etc. etc.

On the other hand, I generally don't enter contests to try to have a big score. I enter them to have fun. (But big scores are fun too.) For example, to test my digital station for Field Day, I entered the Ukrainian RTTY contest. Working in that contest got all the bugs worked out of my setup, and reminded me how to get around the bugs in the computer software I used. The big bonus was two ATNOs.

73 Bill AE6JV