On Mon,7/4/2016 2:27 AM, Mike K2MK wrote:
The problem with recommending a model number is that within a year of
purchasing a monitor it is usually superceded by a different model.

Yes. A year or two ago, I discovered a 24-in Samsung at Costco that runs from a nominal 14VDC wall wart. It's an SMPS and noisy, but because it's 14VDC, it's easy to replace with a 12VDC linear wall wart or run from your shack 12-14VDC power supply. To figure out what power the monitor requires, study their spec sheet carefully and also blown-up photos of the rear panel (you may need to get to the mfr website).

With two large monitors on a desk it's also worth considering adjustable
monitor support arms. They let you situate the monitors for best viewing
heights and angles without taking up valuable desk surface for your
equipment.

More great advice. I've found mounts like this at amazon. A double-arm mount that clamps onto a horizontal surface and places monitors side-by-side cost me about $70; another that places one above the other about the same price. And there's a company called "monoprice" that sells a single arm for about $50.

The tricky part about using these mounts is that they are designed to be used with a monitor that accepts a VESA mounting plate. Not all monitors have that (four screw threads at a certain spacing), but there's also a "garage" operation that makes mounts that retrofit some models of Samsung monitors. All found on the internet.

Another issue in choosing a monitor is RFI, which can be from the SMPS wall wart, AND from the monitor itself. W4UAT gave me a different Samsung model that had touch controls that had awful RFI problems -- his TX made the monitor go huts, and it put out lots of RF noise that I could not kill.

The Samsung monitors I bought are not completely clean, but can be made clean enough that I can't hear them in my antennas by choking their video and power cables.

73, Jim K9YC