Dave,

Most of the commercial end fed halfwave antennas are designed for low power (100 watts and under). So the use of the coax shield as the counterpoise element is not a big problem in most cases.

Add to that, the EFHW is an easy solution for portable operation - an easy up effective antenna.

At the home station where more than QRP power is common, that is where the difficulties with EFHW antennas become more problematic. In other words, RF-in-the-shack at QRP levels may not be noticable, but at higher power levels, it can cause problems.

That being said, I can run my LNR/PAR EndFedZ for 40/20 meters at 100 watts with no apparent problems. I would not want to push it much higher.

73,
Don W3FPR