Tony Estep wrote
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 8:22 PM, Bill W4ZV <

> btippett@.mit

> > wrote:
>
> Yep, those were legendary days. I too made Novice DXCC, shortly after
> Bill.
> He was KN4RID in those days. I worked my 100th right after he got his, but
> I stuck my cards in a drawer and didn't send them in for over a decade.
> Finally I dug 'em out and got my DXCC certificate, issued under my novice
> call, KN0LTB. It's still up on the wall.There was one other novice who did
> it, but I can't remember who it was.

Hi Tony.  Sorry my linked story didn't mention that you received DXCC
because at the time I wrote that article I didn't see it in late 50s QSTs.
After checking later QSTs, there were actually 4 that made it:

Call             QST               Total
KN4RID      Nov 58             102
KN4RID      Oct 59              114  (an endorsement)
KN1IVT      May 60             100
KN0LTB      Aug 67             102
WN8TND    Sep 67              105

For Mark, another restriction was that we were limited to 21.100 and above,
but many DX stations lower in the band would respond if you answered their
CQs.  My guess is this was because many were using military surplus RXs
which did not have great resolution, so they sometimes answered even if you
were way off their TX frequency.

Those days were the golden years of DXing IMHO...no spotting, no lists, no
mega-expeditions and the key to success was lots and lots of tuning the
bands and listening.

73,  Bill