On Thu,7/28/2016 9:50 AM, Dirk Handzic wrote:
Does anyone use a KX3 + internal 2m transverter with an external amplifier?

My neighbor W6GJB and I both have K3s with Elecraft 2m transverters. His is internal, mine is external (I've owned it for more than ten years). Several years ago, we searched for and acquired vintage (30 year old) brick amps that drive with either 2W or 10W for an output of about 150W. They have built-in preamps. These vintage amps were made during the 70s and 80s with the Mirage and RF Concepts name, and were built in Northern California. They also made versions of these amps that required higher drive levels -- 30W and 50W, I think, and they also made versions for 440 MHz. I own some of those too, which I use with the FM rig in my shack. The Mirage name was later bought by MFJ. We found four of these vintage amps in good condition in a few days simply by asking on two local club reflectors. I don't remember what we paid, but I do know that we considered them a bargain. :)

Those older amps are a great fit to an Elecraft rig with an Elecraft transverter. We use the version that drives with 2W so that we can run the transverter at the lowest possible power, thus reducing heat.

73, Jim K9YC