That would be great, Mel.

I think I probably have about 8 brick amps of this generation carrying the Mirage and RF Concepts nameplate. Up to now, I've never looked at their spectral performance, and I don't have an easy way to do so with the frequency resolution of the P3, because I have only one 2M CW transceiver. OTOH, I could probably borrow a second one from W6GJB.

The most practical test I currently know of for IM performance is transmitting CW dits in the range of 35WPM and looking at the occupied bandwidth on a P3 with a display bandwidth on the order of 10 kHz.

73, Jim

On Fri,7/29/2016 12:57 PM, Mel Farrer wrote:
If anyone needs information on the older KLM/Mirage amplifiers, I have some of the original documentation when I was at KLM/Mirage in the '70/'80 time period. Would be glad to share.

Mel, K6KBE
One of the founders of KLM Electronics

*From:* Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com>
*To:* elecraft@mailman.qth.net
*Sent:* Friday, July 29, 2016 12:15 PM
*Subject:* Re: [Elecraft] KX3 2m external amplifier

On Fri,7/29/2016 10:31 AM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
> Are those capable of linear operation for SSB as the poster asked? The ones
> I had back then were non-linear (class C) strictly for FM/CW only.

CW is 100% modulation of a carrier by a rectangular wave, so the
harmonics associated with rise and fall times create at least as much
distortion as SSB. That distortion shows up in the form of clicky
sidebands. It's quite easy to see these sidebands on a P3. Here's some
work I did a year or two ago measuring some rigs that were available to me.

http://k9yc.com/P3_Spectrum_Measurements.pdf

The second file contains much of the same data, but focuses on
improvements made by firmware upgrades to the FTDX5000 a year or two ago.

http://k9yc.com/FTDX5000_Report.pdf

73, Jim K9YC

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net <http://www.qsl.net/>
Message delivered to farrerfo...@yahoo.com <mailto:farrerfo...@yahoo.com>