I'm very happy with Amateur Radio (or "ham radio" for those who prefer).  It might not be perfect, whatever that measure might be,  but it affords me the opportunity to participate in the world's greatest hobby in the manner I so choose.

Had our hobby not grown as it did, I wonder if Elecraft would have ever achieved the size, excellence and reputation is enjoys today?  Reading QST is sometimes beyond my ability to comprehend.  I'm no rocket scientist.

Why should ham radio be "a place for those who have proven that they have the necessary skills to continue to practice  those "ancient" and no longer commercially viable skills"?  There are no commercially produced regenerative receivers and most modern transmitter don't have any tubes.

As far as Morse code is concerned, it's the only mode I choose to use - 100%.  I also limit myself to HF and to QRP.  Those are my choices.

Similarly, there are many others who prefer to focus on just digital, or just VHF, or just.....you name it.

This hobby has room for real rocket scientists as well as slowpokes like me.